Saturday, 4 June 2011

Donald Malcolm Moore 1922 - 2005

Today is a rather poignant day for me. I woke up remembering that phone call six years ago. "He's gone, Peg."

"Who?" I asked. In my defense, she did wake me up. I knew very well, I just didn't expect it. Not on this day, of all days. Earlier on the week, he asked my Mom, "did you give her $100 for her birthday yet? My brother and sister jumped on that one, 'cause they always gave us $25 for our birthdays. It was one of the funny moments of the week, one of several funny, bittersweet moments.

He died alone, early in the morning, Saturday, June 4, 2005, in a hospital in Saint John, New Brunswick, renowned for cardiac care. One of our regrets, but because it was so early in the morning and sudden, I don't suppose we could have been there anyway. We aren't sure, but he probably took another heart attack and couldn't fight any longer.

So this morning I opened my emails, and its still early, only 8 o'clock. Several of my friends are early birds. I see all these messages that are written on my Facebook wall and alarms start going off in my head. "What's wrong?" I am thinking. Have I been hacked into again?

Happy Birthday to me!

Donald Malcolm Moore
1922-2005

Donald M. Moore, of Moncton, husband of Margaret (Holmes) Moore, passed away at the St. John Regional Hospital on Saturday, June 4, 2005. Born in Moncton on December 9/ 1922, he was the son of the late Miles and Alice (Hovey) Moore. Donald served with the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1941 - 1945, he was the treasurer for the city of Moncton for many years. In addition to his wife Margaret, he is survived by his son, Paul (Ruth) Moore of Alaska, 2 daughters, Peggy (Bill) Vasseur of Moncton, Patricia (Jim) Booth of Maine, one sister Helen (Gerry) Yeadon of Dartmouth (sic - should be Halifax), NS as well as eight grandchildren . . . and two nieces. Visitation at Fair Haven Funeral on Sunday June 5th . . . The Funeral Service will be held from the Chapel of Fair Haven Funeral on Monday June 6th at 2:00 pm Rev. Jason Cochrane officiating. A reception will follow in the Garden View Reception Room of the Funeral Home. Memorial donations may be made to the Grace Baptist Church, Heart and Stroke Foundation or the memorial of the donor's choice. Interment in Fairhaven Memorial Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment